The student news site of La Jolla Country Day School in La Jolla, California

The Palette

The Palette

The Palette

Country of the Vandals

It was coming to a close. As the sun rose over the Baetic Mountains and the warmth of the rays reached the hearts of the Spanish people, I understood my mother’s need to show us the country she fell in love with as a teenager. Nestled in southern Spain, Andalucia offers incredibly diverse geography, from mountainous forests to magnificent beaches. This magical region, influenced by its rich history, showcases the layers of its past within its current culture. As you walk through the serpentine streets of Andalucia, the scent of orange blossoms fills your nose while the steps of Flamenco summon stories of the past.

Often overlooked for larger bustling cities like Madrid and Barcelona, the region of Andalucia offers an authentic taste of Spanish culture and is the true hidden gem of Spain. Cities and towns throughout the region, known for their Moorish influence, host both locals and visitors late into the morning hours with a vibrant nightlife. The birthplace of Pablo Picasso, Malaga serves as a perfect blend of art and culture within a relaxed beach community. Granada, a city still packed with traditional Moorish buildings is home to the world famous Alhambra. A main attraction for visitors worldwide, this royal palace showcases decorative tiles, hand-carved inscriptions and incredible pillars set upon a hilltop overlooking the kingdom of the Nasrid Dynasty.

The heart of Andalucia lies in Seville, the fourth largest city in Spain. As you stroll through the Barrio Santa Cruz, picturesque trees rich with fragrant oranges line the streets. While the oranges themselves aren’t edible, they are infused in all aspects of day-to-day life from marmalades to lotions to perfumes. Home to the Seville Cathedral, the Royal Alcazar fortress and the beloved Plaza de Espana, which honors all fifty provinces of Spain, Seville is truly one of Spain’s most beautiful treasures. As the birthplace of the Flamenco dance, this song and dance with a deep Moorish history, has become a global icon of Andalusian culture.

Andalucian reflects the region’s diversity and vibrant lifestyle. With access to plenty of shoreline, this region is home to some of the freshest and most desirable seafood in Spain. From the vast selection of tapas, to the Andalucian-born dish of Gazpacho, this region is a gastronomic hub in Europe. Aside from cafés, bars, and restaurants, all of the bustling markets, such as Mercado de Atarazanas in Malaga and the Alcaicería de Granada reflect the vast selection of Andalucian cuisine.

Andalucia, with its remarkable history, rich cuisine, affable citizens, and endless attractions make it one of the most desirable places to visit. Andalucia is a must-visit destination for all people, as it caters to the needs of all different travelers. The beautiful beach cities like Malaga and Cadiz, the culture-filled metropolises of Seville and Cordoba, and all of the small charming villages in between truly demonstrate how much there is to show in the greatest region of Spain.