The student news site of La Jolla Country Day School in La Jolla, California

The Palette

The Palette

The Palette

The Curious Case of the LJCDS Schedule

The schedule every year is a hot-button issue, but very few people understand why the schedule exists as it does today.  Many aspects of the schedule are considered confusing, including how the rotation works in exact terms, and the white/blue week distinction. This is due to a multitude of reasons, but one of the more prominent is that many students have limited information about the inner workings of the school’s administration, viewing it as a sort of ‘black box’ from which decisions flow. In order to shed some light on this complex issue, I have interviewed Mr. Trocano regarding the schedule and gathered his statements here.
The first question that many people have about the schedule is relatively simple: Who actually has a hand in the decisions regarding it? As it turns out, a multitude of individuals contribute their feedback and ideas to the schedule each year, as it is reflected on. The largest body is Teaching & Learning, a group which is composed predominantly of administrators, with a few faculty as well. This group will later consult the Academic Council, which is made up of primarily faculty. These two groups also take feedback from the student body, submitted near the end of the year in a reflection form. All of this said it is clear that many hands touch the schedule before it achieves its final form, and it is certainly not a product of just the administration’s wishes.

Another critical aspect of the schedule’s creation is the fact that it must be constructed around several constraints outside the school’s control. The two most prominent are the California state law that prohibits starting earlier than 8:30 and the fact that CIF games are set independently of any one school’s schedule, so they must be planned around. The factor of CIF specifically is one of the reasons that the rotation between blue and white weeks was created, in order to allow for students who compete in CIF sports (A large portion of the student body) to not consistently miss certain classes, which would cause them to fall deeply behind in some subjects. 

Ultimately, the system of creating the LJCDS schedule is not, as some view it, a chaotic one, or one lacking any accountability. Rather, it is a well-organized system, which does make attempts to receive feedback and advice from students and faculty. So although the schedule is imperfect, I hope that you can see that it is not created the way it is without a reason.