The drumline and the marching band

Back to Article
Back to Article

The drumline and the marching band

Jacob Kaplan, Editor-In-Chief

I am a new writer for the La Jolla Country Day newspaper, more commonly known as The Palette. While middle school is a place to prepare yourself for some of the more complicated and difficult conflicts in life such as finals and overloads of homework, the upper school is a place where people discover their main interests and passions. For me, I found that it was the drumline, combining two of my favorite things, music, and hitting things. I joined the drumline, a group of drummers that consist of three main types of drums led by the band director, Mr. Chad Przymus. It was created about three years ago and was an amazing addition to the school’s band program. We play during the halftime of home football games accompanying the school marching band, and sometimes we have other performances such as the Holiday Parade in La Jolla. I was a newcomer this year and was gladly accepted into the bass drum section. At first it was quite hard to learn, but overtime I learned how to do things such as to hold and carry a drum. One of the most amazing things about the drum line is that our school’s marching band is not much larger than two times the size of the drumline so the drumline sounds that much louder and fuller.

Accompanying the drumline is the marching band, made up of about twenty five or so students. The marching band is also directed by Mr. Przymus and is quite awesome. The members of the marching band have usually been doing their chosen instrument of choice for a certain number of years so they are usually more than proficient with it. The marching band, including the drumline, is quite new, but we have the ability to perform with any other marching band as proven in the La Jolla Holiday Parade. We are not nearly the largest marching bands or drumline in San Diego, quite possibly one of the smallest, but the most rallying concept is the mere fact that we sound as if each of our trumpet players sounds like five, the drumline sounding as if it were an entire drum battalion. I am proud of be part of the La Jolla Country Day School drumline and marching band.