LJCDS Global Initiative

Back to Article
Back to Article

LJCDS Global Initiative

Danielle Amir-Lobel, Staff Editor

On March 14, 2019, the La Jolla Country Day School World Language Department and Center for Excellence in Citizenship hosted a global social hour in conjunction with The Preuss School and the San Diego Diplomacy Council. This event featured many impressive guests from around the world including Naw K’nyaw Paw, a winner of the 2019 U.S. State Department International Woman of Courage Award. The International Women of Courage Award is presented annually by the Secretary of State to women who demonstrate leadership and advocate for justice, peace, human rights, and gender equality. Naw K’nyaw Paw is a peace activist in Burma. Through her work as general secretary of the Karen Women’s Organization, she advocates for human liberties and gender equality. She was once a refugee herself and, although given the chance to escape her war-ridden country, she chose to support her suffering community so as not to abandon the refugees in desperate conditions.

Also in attendance at this event were two delegations of diverse international educators from eleven different countries. The first of these delegations consisted of delegates from Kurdistan who study religious and public education curriculum development, and the second consisted of English-language teachers from Asia, Europe, Africa, and South America who study American language and multicultural diversity. Earlier that day, some students from LJCDS were given the unique opportunity to meet with delegates to engage in intimate discussions along with students from the Preuss School. Keeping in mind various backgrounds and perspectives, they shared opinions and debated questions such as: Should religion be taught in schools? What is the value of learning a second language? How does culture affect education?

Local politicians such as Congressman Scott Peters and Assemblymember Todd Gloria even sent representatives from their offices to support this global initiative. The annual LJCDS Rhythm in Blue production at the Four Flowers Theater followed the event, and attendees were encouraged to stay for this perfect culmination of the night. This student production explores rhythms from all around the world and embraces the multicultural diversity of music through a wide variety of percussion ensembles and performances.

Overall, this day was a huge success at promoting global connections and discussions between many diverse people. By exploring our differences, we are able to find universalities and form friendships, so that we may support all humans. The event was all-around inspiring and demonstrated how everyone, no matter who it is, can make a difference in their community and promote peace and equality.