How to Survive Senioritis

Back to Article
Back to Article

How to Survive Senioritis

Madison Twomey, Staff Writer

First of all, anyone who says they have Senioritis but is not a senior can just sit down. I’ll admit that when I was feeling unmotivated or lazy junior year I would complain that “Senioritis is hitting me early.” But no. Nobody knows how serious and devastating Senioritis really is until they experience it for themselves. For most people, though, it doesn’t get serious until second semester. First semester is when everyone is still trying to work hard to do well in their classes while simultaneously working on college applications. Once winter break hits, most applications are done and first semester grades are solidified. Second semester means the loss of motivation, work ethic, and a general will to live. Senioritis gets to everyone, so here are a few tips on how to survive.

1. No matter what anyone else says, second semester does matter. Even if your applications are in, schools still receive your second-semester grades and they can rescind your acceptance. Trust me, you don’t want that.
  2. Try not to get too far behind on work. Personally, I didn’t do any work for the first three weeks of second semester because I had no motivation, and I ended up having terrible grades in all of my classes. I then had to do three weeks worth of work in a couple of days and it was the most painful thing ever. So don’t do that.
  3. If you need to, take a day to relax and not do any work. It’s better to have a designated day to chill than just to pretend to do work and not actually do anything for a month. Take a day or two to chill and then you’ll be ready to go (maybe).
  4. Hydrate! Y’all, water is good for you it can cure everything: just drink water.
  5. Hang out with your friends. This is the last time you’ll be in school with them, so make it count.
  6. Accept it. You’ve been working hard for four years and now all you have to do is wait. You can slack off a little, just not too much.

I have really bad senioritis so it’s really hard for me to give actually good advice but I hope that helps.