The Palette

Upper School’s delightful, delicious, and lovely production of Anything Goes

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rachel Ruggera, Staff Writer

The Upper School Musical Anything Goes was a huge success on opening night and it went on to amaze the audience in each of its following shows. This production was on a larger scale than any other performances and we tried to impress the crowd from the very beginning. With an extravagant set, including an automated turntable and a cruise liner nearly reaching the ceiling, we strove to create a striking spectacle that would transport the theater to the 1930s on a voyage to London. The musical took on this magical quality as the curtain was pulled back to reveal the set and the full cast for the first time. Dance numbers with the entire company, comical scenes with sailors and priests, and talented singers and actors all made this production special and truly memorable. The cast brought their characters to life and urged the audience to feel their joy, heartbreak, and love with them.

Anything Goes, written by Cole Porter and starring Sutton Foster in the Broadway rendition, takes place entirely on a cruise ship as it tells the story of three couples and a stowaway criminal. This musical follows a Wall Street broker named Billy Crocker as he falls for a stunning, rich debutante while at the same time Reno Sweeney, a Christian nightclub singer, falls in love with a posh, British aristocrat. These unusual couples are accompanied by an ensemble of star-struck passengers, a second-rate gangster, and to top it off, a shaved dog.

Our show wouldn’t have been complete without the hundreds of hours the cast, crew, and teachers put into it. From weekend set builds, to tech week, dress rehearsals, band practice, and actors running lines and practicing their tap number, it’s hard to fathom how much effort goes into the musical until you’re working right along with them. Striking after the last performance is always bittersweet; after spending so much time building the set, it was hard to tear down. But at the same time, it was satisfying to kick down a wall after two weeks of late night rehearsals at school. With the set gone, we can only remember the good parts of the show while we forget about all the things that went wrong or what we wish we had done differently. Finally, thank you to all the seniors who spent time on this musical and helped to make it an incredible experience.