Silly new classes to take in college

Faith Fayman, Staff Writer

In high school, you are chained to the typical core classes: science, English, history, math and language. However, once you embark on the next four years at your chosen university you can pick whatever classes you want. Here are some crazy classes that are far from your typical high school core classes.

USC- selfie class

If you are going to USC next year, you should consider taking the selfie course they offer there. In the class, which is actually a writing class, students take selfies and then write a reflection based on a series of questions the professor provides. You can also learn about the history of the selfie and its massive popularity in social media.

Michigan State University- Surviving Zombie Apocalypse- Disasters, Catastrophes, and Human Behavior

This course is not just available to MSU students, but also to the general public. This course explores how humans behave in catastrophes and delves into how it’s possible that certain humans survive better than others. The class is a simulation class, meaning that it has students simulating events of catastrophes and figuring out how to survive.

Pitzer College- Tattoos in American Popular Culture

If you are interested in tattoos then this class is for you. Whether you are tattooed from head to toe or a blank canvas anyone can join this course. Tattoos in American Popular Culture examines American tattoo culture and its history. If you are reading this and thinking this course is just simply looking at tattoos through history, you are mistaken as the course is actually very complex and relates the ink to major issues such as gender, race, and equality.

Belmont University- “Oh, Look, a Chicken!” Embracing Distraction as a Way of Knowing

This course not only has the best name but is also very useful if you are easily distracted. The class explores what it means to be a distracted learner and how one can become aware of one’s distractions and when they occur. This class is very helpful in that it tries to help distracted learners become less distracted, helping them succeed in their other courses.

University of Wisconsin- Elvish, the language of “The Lord of the Rings”

Although this course is basically useless, it is quite popular. Many super fans of the movie series have joined this course to discuss the history of the language and its use in the movie franchise. The course is also taught by an ex-consultant to the makers of the films. If you are a big Lord of the Rings or Hobbit fan I would definitely recommend taking this course.

Cornell University- Tree Climbing

As you probably guessed this course is all about tree climbing. If you loved climbing trees as a child this course may be for you. It teaches students how to climb trees without any ropes, harnesses, and gear of any kind. This class also teaches students how to climb and jump from tree to tree without having to touch the ground. The course is hands on and students learn by practicing and spending most of the time up in trees.  

Whether you decide to take crazy new courses or not, college is still the time to discover your passions and figure out what you want to do with your life.

Sources:

https://www.fastweb.com/student-life/articles/the-25-epic-college-courses

https://www.onlineuniversities.com/blog/2009/10/100-hilarious-college-courses-that-really-exist/

http://courses.cornell.edu/preview_course_nopop.php?catoid=12&coid=95399