The Torrey Shop is here!

Yuqi Yang, Co Editor-in-Chief

The Torrey Spirit Shop is your one-stop online store for all your favorite Country Day gears. I had the pleasure to ask Mrs. Laws and Mrs. Twomey – who put together this amazing website – some questions, the answers to which many of you are dying to know. So let’s get to it!

Yuqi:

Please tell us a little about the Torrey Shop. How did the idea start?

Mrs. Laws and Mrs. Twomey:

The Torrey Spirit Shop began as an idea from the Parent Association Board. We wanted to make spirit wear more accessible to our community and decided that creating an online store [would allow] the LJCDS community flexibility and convenience when shopping. Providing items online also helps us to manage our inventory more efficiently, keep prices affordable, and limit purchasing items in bulk which helps reduce our financial liability. Our next step was to interview companies that could provide an online “store” for us as well as provide quality spirit wear to our community.

Yuqi:

Do you think that the Torrey Shop has been a success? Are you happy with what you have been able to accomplish so far this year?

Mrs. Laws and Mrs. Twomey:

Our main goal for this first year was to see more students and families on campus wearing LJCDS spirit wear and showing their Torrey pride. We feel that we have definitely accomplished that goal. We have learned several things in our initial year that will help us to improve the online store and to continue meeting the needs of our community. We also learned that having our vendor on campus at selected events throughout the year makes the spirit wear more accessible.

Yuqi:

Do you have any particular goals for the future of the Torrey Shop?

Mrs. Laws and Mrs. Twomey:

Yes! We would love to get students involved in selecting the clothing styles and accessories for the store as well as helping with the logo design. We know that we have a lot of creative students on our campus from lower school all the way through high school, and we would love their input. We are also looking forward to making the store more integrated into the school community, and maybe someday, [having] a physical store on campus that is run by the PA and LJCDS staff.

Yuqi:

How do you decide what to stock?

Mrs. Laws and Mrs. Twomey: Since this was our first year, we decided to select standard designs. Our vendor, who supplies spirit wear for other area high schools as well as club and high school sports teams, advised us on the most popular items with those schools and teams. For this Spring and Fall 2018, we are looking for some help from the upper school students. Please ask students to email us at [email protected] if they would like to help us create our Torrey spirit wear line for this Spring and Fall 2018.  

Yuqi:

What are the most popular items purchased from the Torrey Shop?

Mrs. Laws and Mrs. Twomey:

It has been such a warm fall and winter season, that t-shirts are currently the most popular item. We started with mainly a cotton blend, but added performance shirts in October which have been popular and selling very well along with our Torrey bags. Other popular items include backpacks and duffle bags that can be personalized with a student’s name and/or sport.

Yuqi:

If you could pick only one thing from the entire collection, what would you suggest for the Upper School students?

Mrs. Laws and Mrs. Twomey:

We would suggest one of our t-shirts, flannel pajama pants, or our logo socks.

Please feel free to email us at [email protected] if you have input on new items to carry in the store. Thank you!

Yuqi: Thank you for your time!