The Palette

Keep calm and travel on

Kathryn Mills, Staff Writer

London is the place to go for traveling because of the great food and the amazing places. There are tons of shops, theatres, soccer games, beautiful gardens, and of course very good restaurants. The London Eye is one of the most scenic sites in all of London. While the line may be long to get on the ride, it is definitely worth the wait. You can see Big Ben, the London Tower, as well as the Royal Opera House. The clear glass all across each pod on the ride helps you get an incredible view of all of London. The best time to go on the London Eye is during the daytime, but there’s also a lovely view during the night. The price for the ride is $35 for adults, $28 for children ages 3-15, and free for children under 3.

If you are in the mood for shopping, Regents Street is the place to go. Full of numerous stores and fun activities such as the theatre, Regents Street ensures that you will definitely have fun shopping with family and friends. Clothing stores such as Anthropologie, Karen Millen, and Liberty London are also located here. For those interested in sportswear, there is a really nice Nike shop located near Oxford Circus. There are soccer cleats, as well as running shoes and other necessities for sportswear. If you get hungry after all that shopping, there are also some cafes and restaurants located on Regents Street. Some of the cafes are Caffe Nero, Paul, and Sacred Cafe. The street can get a bit busy during the week, so the best day to go would be on a Monday or a Tuesday when there aren’t as many people there.

To get a taste of the royal life, the best place to visit is Buckingham Palace. Numerous gardens surround this beautiful palace such as the queen’s garden, as well as a lake nearby in St. James’s Park. You also have the chance to take pictures with the guards, but they will not pose for the camera because they are on duty, so try not to distract them. Around midday, there will be a change of guards. This event is fun to see because of the music that plays as well as the guards marching. There are also tours of the palace during the summer. If you want to pay extra, you will be able to see the State Rooms, The Royal Mews, as well as the Queen’s Gallery. The cost for this special experience is $56for adults and $31 for people under 17.            

Hyde Park is one of the best places to go if you want to have a calm, relaxing day. As the largest out of the eight royal parks, Hyde Park includes boating, a playground, cafes, refreshment areas, horse riding, and a rose garden. If you feel like getting some exercise, there is a place for swimming, soccer pitches, as well as tennis courts. On certain days in the year, there are special events such as The Royal Gun Salutes and the British Summer Time Hyde Park. The Royal Gun Salutes mark special royal occasions. The basic salute is 21 rounds fired at ten-second intervals. The British Summer Time Hyde Park is a music festival on July 6 through the 15th. Some artists that will be playing are Bruno Mars and Michael Buble. While there are many other amazing places in London to visit, these are for sure some of the top places to go. London is a great place to take your family to, and experience new adventures.

Cites:

https://www.londoneye.com/tickets-and-prices/general-tickets/

http://www.regentstreetonline.com/directory

https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/visit/the-state-rooms-buckingham-palace

https://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/hyde-park