The Palette

The stigma of diabetes

Sophie Scandurro, Staff Writer

Diabetes is a disease that is not often talked, and many diabetics feel like they can’t openly share their story. There are two different types of diabetes: type one diabetes and type two diabetes. Type one diabetes is found in usually in children, as your immune system destroys the cells that create insulin in your body. Type two diabetes can occur at any age. As your body creates a resistance to insulin, insulin regulates the amount of glucose in the blood. There is a multitude of people affected by the disease. It is not only the stereotypical overweight person, but it could affect all people regardless of age, race, and weight. Resistance to insulin usually increases as the body ages, which prevents your body from absorbing sugar and preventing the cells from being able to produce sufficient energy.

Although diabetes can’t yet be cured, there are ways to restore the lack of or slowed production of insulin in the body. Insulin comes in many forms and can be introduced to the body through increasing dosages specified to your body’s needs. Some forms of insulin include pills, herbal therapies, and most commonly, insulin injections. The pills are much easier to use than the insulin injections, as you don’t have to carry around as much and administer injections, though their effects often don’t last as long. Some other drawbacks to the pills are they don’t always work efficiently as the injections, as it typically does not work when you have been diagnosed with diabetes for many years. The herbal treatments are frequently overlooked or in some cases never heard of. There is no scientific proof that the herbal therapies can help manage diabetes, but many people try them and dietary supplements.

The insulin injections, as most know, are typically the most common treatment option. The injections of insulin come in many different quantities depending on the strength each patient needs. The injections also come not only in the quantity but also the duration of the dosage. An example would be that most regular insulin injections last from 3-6 hours, some lasting longer and others are introduced to the bloodstream faster, but don’t last as long. The insulin not only has to be self-administered, with the advanced technologies there is now an insulin pump. The insulin pump is majorly self-regulating, but they can be adjusted to up your dose. Some advantages to the insulin pump are the doses are better regulated, at continuous intervals. The injection can also be difficult to administer, especially since it is administered into the stomach by yourself. The psychological factor here is that there is the constant eyes of people on you, as you have to administer it after meals. This causes a stigma around diabetes and makes it harder to talk about.

There are many types of diabetes that can be affected by the environment that surrounds a person. The diagnosis of diabetes is no longer as traumatic as it once was. There is also no need to show the injections, as the new technologies improve there will be less of a stigma around diabetes, whether it is to type one or type two. There are many medicines that can restore the lacking levels of insulin and new technologies that connect more directly to the body. There are also new treatment plans being created now, that, like the insulin pump will make the injection of insulin much easier.

Sources:

https://www.medicinenet.com/diabetes_mellitus/article.htm

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/recently-diagnosed/8-tips-for-caregivers.html?loc=lwd-slabnav