The Palette

Is the sequel ever better than the original movie? Kingsman: The Golden Circle

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jacob Kaplan, Editor-In-Chief

Nearly everyone’s seen a Bond movie, whether it was Casino Royale, Skyfall, or a much older installment in the series. The spy movie industry was built on a suit-wearing, gun-totting special agent with inhumane combat skills and a knack for wanting the perfect martini. And if you have seen Kingsman: The Secret Service, then you know that the movie takes a unique spin on a classic movie genre and twists it to make it its own. Kingsman: The Golden Circle is no different. Filled with spectacular action and downright hilarious scenes that made me almost fall out of my seat, the movie does not disappoint and is definitely one that you must see.

But what really makes a good spy movie? It’s a variety of factors including, but not limited to: (1) an original storyline that viewers can’t see a mile away before the ending happens; (2) a cast of protagonists who have a connection with each other that makes the plot seem so realistic what is happening, and finally; (3) a homicidal megalomaniac with an unquenchable urge to take over the world. And without spoiling anything, this movie follows this successful mold to a certain extent but lacks in other places. First, the hilarity from first movie with certain moments such as Samuel L. Jackson’s intolerance of violence, throwing up during his own death, returns in the second movie. There is never a dry moment. Even when the story turns grim, as it always does, there is some humor to make light of a bad situation. What I, and most people, loved about the first Kingsman movie was the way the action was set up. It wasn’t that the Kingsmen were particularly inhuman, because they weren’t, but what made the movie so entertaining is that the director, Matthew Vaughn, did not shy away from making this movie as gruesome and gory as the first one. Still fast-paced and, of course, with added moments of comedy, the combat and thriller side of the movie is not lacking in the slightest. But however humorous or happy this movie seems, it does not falter when challenging today’s issues, such as the growing danger of drug trade.

Yet Kingsman was not a perfect movie and although it was entertaining and fantastic in so many ways, it was predictable and didn’t have the first iteration’s flare. The main storyline was not as intense as that of the first movie although there still were some shocks and surprises that I personally didn’t see coming at all. Samuel L. Jackson’s portrayal of Richmond Valentine in the first movie was so impeccable that Julianne Moore had such large shoes to fill so the movie didn’t have that realistic insane touch. So was Kingsman: The Golden Circle better than its predecessor? I would be lying if I said it was better. But that being said, it is still a great movie in its own right and is certainly a movie that never had audiences bored or sitting back in their seat for even a second.