The Palette

Parking availability

Sara Forsey, Staff Writer

Here at LJCDS, we have many opportunities, ranging from being able to make our own extracurricular activities to joining any sport. This school gives us numerous opportunities to express ourselves in any way possible. This segment is about the parking lots on campus and allowing more students to park on campus instead of off campus.

A problem with the parking areas on campus is that many of the students cannot currently park at school. The reason is that there is not enough parking space for everyone to park on campus. It is not that it is hard to get a parking space, as you just need to fill out a short form to get one, and you’ll have a parking space for the rest of the year. The problem regarding this is that only Juniors and Seniors can get a parking spot while sophomores or any other student cannot.

There are five different parking lots on the LJCDS campus. The Regents lot is for the teachers and staff. The Genesee lot is for parents, more staff, juniors, seniors, and visitors. The Upper School parking lot is just for seniors The Middle School parking lot is for parents and more staff. The lower school parking lot is for even more parents and the lower school staff.

Between the five parking lots, there is a rough estimate of over 300-400 parking spaces on campus. There is an understatement why there needs to be designated spots for teachers and visitors as if they didn’t have one then teachers would be unable to park, which would disrupt our academic curriculum. But there is some controversy over the fact that juniors and seniors get designated parking and other students are not allowed to park on campus at all.

It is understandable why the faculty has decided against parking for sophomores and other students because, statistically speaking, most people in 10th grade do not get licenses until the springtime, and they usually don’t have a car available to drive to and from school. And the fact that there is not enough parking for each person on campus to park is also understandable since we do not have an unlimited amount of parking spaces.

But I do see why people disagree with this view as there is construction on Genesee and pretty much all around the school, and students can’t park outside the school without getting a ticket for being in one spot for too long or being in another parking lot when you are actually not going to the shops or buildings in that lot. And as well as there being multiple parking spaces available throughout the parking lots, there are only a few people that aren’t in Junior and Senior year that can drive.

From both sides of the problem of parking, it is definitely is an arguable point of whether students can park on campus or not. There are disadvantages to not being able to park and being able to park on campus. If we couldn’t park, we wouldn’t be able to involve ourselves in the community as much as the school wants us to, by doing after school activities, community service, and sports. But if students could park on campus, then there would be less parking for teachers and visitors, hindering our own learning and the possibility of getting new faces on campus. Maybe in the future the school will rearrange the parking, or maybe we can share a parking lot with an adjacent property. Surely it’s an important topic that many sophomores (at least) are eager to hear more about!